Position Executive Director – The Graycliff Estate
The Executive Director is the community leader and lead spokesperson of the Graycliff Conservancy and the Administrator over the Graycliff Estate, Frank Lloyd Wright’s masterpiece commissioned by Darwin and Isabelle Martin in 1926 as a summer home and retreat for Isabelle Martin.
The estate, ancillary buildings and grounds cover an 8.5-acre footprint and rest on the cliffs of Lake Erie overlooking the shoreline of southern Ontario and the skyline of Buffalo, NY. Well regarded for its aspect as a manifestation in stone of the natural environment and waters framing it, Graycliff represents a pivotal development in Frank Lloyd Wright’s career where many of his foundational ideas of architecture and landscape were realized and set the tone for his further expression of this organic design ideal in the later masterpieces of his career.
The Executive Director is the arbiter of the vision of the Graycliff Estate:
To achieve international recognition of Graycliff as a Frank Lloyd Wright masterwork restored to reveal its unique architectural vision that integrates the estate with its distinctive natural environment.
Second, the successful leader will execute the mission of the Conservancy:
The Graycliff Conservancy is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to restoring and preserving the Frank Lloyd Wright designed Graycliff Estate as a publicly accessible landmark.
• Engage and cultivate resources and ideas from all-encompassing fields including immediate, regional, and national communities, cultural peers, professional organizations, civic and business leaders as well as institutional outlets.
• A successful background in creative programming design and execution with a record of increasing membership and engagement from individual, public corporate sources.
• An Active emissary. The Executive Director will naturally attract people to the mission of Graycliff through inspiring the team, volunteers, board members, partnering organizations and funders. They will set the tone for the continuous marketing of Graycliff and work with all staff and board members to increase volunteerism.
• Partner with a strong Board of Directors: serve as ex-officio of each committee and provide balance of board involvement with strategic/tactical initiatives as well as help shape the strategic vision and path.
• Serve as Graycliff's primary spokesperson to constituents, the media and the general public on all matters.
Strategic Operations Manager
• Ensure the Graycliff Conservancy is financially healthy and thriving. The Director must have a keen awareness of meeting necessary operational goals and funding for positive cash flow and for meeting the established budget. Collaborate with the board on a short and long-term plan to grow Graycliff including creating budgets and projections as part of a proposed annual Business Planning process.
• Oversight of important financial activities ranging from expenditures, grants, donations, borrowing, purchases, construction or capital improvement projects and significantly, actively seeking and pursuing grants and funding opportunities.
• Develop the Graycliff staff and create pathways for ongoing development and succession including learning and mentoring opportunities.
• Conduct performance reviews as development tools and manage the employee/employer engagement process including volunteer leaders and docents.
• Process mindset to implement and manage systems to track progress on key initiatives and evaluate program components to measure successes.
• Comply with all funding reporting requirements set forth by foundations and public entities and confer with board on strategies for maximizing awards.
• Comply with all administrative policies and procedures including mandatory trainings as required by the State for all employees, volunteers and board members.
· Bachelor’s and/or master’s degree from an accredited university
· 7 or more years of leading, managing, and growing an enterprise ideally in a not-for-profit setting specifically with the grant-writing process.
· Commitment and passion for the arts and architecture. Representing Graycliff and Frank Lloyd Wright is a highly visible position that has international exposure and importance.
· Natural ease communicating; a strong public presence able to engage with diverse audiences. Persuasive in written communications as well as an active social presence to market an “Experience Graycliff” vision to public and private sectors.
· Highly-organized in habit and manner.
· A marketing and immersive mindset to impact website presence, retail operations, exhibits, grounds, tours and ultimately work to maximize the customer experience of Graycliff.
• Ability to travel locally by car and occasionally by train or airplane.
• Ability to stand/walk for long periods of time; Capability of bending/lifting up to 20 pounds.
• Ability to safely and easily navigate Graycliff Estate's steps and uneven terrain.
Please respond with your resume in full confidence to: